Korny’s blog

The personal blog of Korny Sietsma

comments, trackbacks, eggs and spam

By Korny at 8:29 am on Monday, February 11, 2008

I foolishly left the default wordpress setting to “send me an e-mail but allow comments”. So now I’m on some spam source - I’ve made comments “moderate only” but I have to log in regularly and kill a pile of spam in the “to-moderate” folder. Maybe it’ll force me to blog more!

Filed under: life

5 Comments

Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by sabik

February 11, 2008 @ 2:18 pm

My combination of the maths question and not marking up links seems to be working so far… I get an occasional spam comment very rarely, but never multiples. Or maybe I’m just lucky that my blog never got on anyone’s list.

η

Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by Korny

February 12, 2008 @ 6:27 am

The downside of not running my on blog software - I’m limited by what the host makes available. Some sort of captcha system would be better, definitely…

Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by Thorne Lawler

February 12, 2008 @ 11:23 am

Can has plugins?

If you can, Spam Karma 2 Works very well for me. Mine has filtered some godawful number of thousands of spam posts since I installed it, and let through a total of two. I never customised it in any way, either, just installed it and ignored it.

Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by Korny

February 15, 2008 @ 5:20 pm

I can add one of a number of pre-installed plugins - it doesn’t include spam karma, but there are some I can try. (I can request new plugins as well if I want)

However I’m reaching the point where I’m not sure if this ‘free’ blog has any advantage over using Trouble, or indeed installing my own so I can tweak it. The main advantage is in having “blog.sietsma.com” - maybe I should look into how to get my host to redirect subdomains, it *should* be possible.

Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by Korny

February 29, 2008 @ 9:50 am

also saw a cool presentation on enki last night - http://www.enkiblog.com/ - maybe I should be running my own blog. Course I’d have to make sure my home server was a bit more stable (and I’d still like to work out how to get subdomains of sietsma.com organised cheaply)

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.